Although this week’s recipe is quite basic you can always add a few ingredients to give a different flavour.
To make the fish cakes add ¼ tsp chopped lemon grass, one clove garlic chopped, one fresh ginger peeled and chopped, 2 tsp chopped coriander, ¼ fresh chilli chopped and a tsp of tomato ketchup into the mix at stage three.
If you make the fish cakes with mainly smoked haddock why not serve them topped with a soft poached egg. The recipe will make up to 12 fish cakes but the size of the finished fish cakes is up to you if you are serving them as a main course you should get four out of the mix.
450g/1lb mixed fish such as cod, haddock, salmon, smoked haddock.
2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley.
1 quantity mashed potato.
1 egg, beaten.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
vegetable oil, for frying.
1. Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5.
2. Put the fish in a roasting tin and cook in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until opaque and starting to flake. When cool enough to handle, take off the skin, remove any bones and flake the fish into large chunks.
3. Mix the fish, potato and parsley together with enough of the egg to bind the mixture. Mix together carefully so as not to break up the fish too much. Season well.
4. Shape into eight-12 patties, depending on how large you want them to be and chill thoroughly.
5. Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan and heat the fish cakes until golden brown and heated through. Serve with parsley sauce Parsley sauce Ingredients 25g/1oz butter 25g/1oz plain flour 600ml/1 pint milk Salt and white pepper 2 tbsp parsley, freshly chopped Method 1. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
2. Stir in the flour and cook for one-two minutes.
3. Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
4. Simmer gently for eight-10 minutes and season with salt and white pepper.
5. Stir in the parsley and serve.