Contact us by email or phone.
Blues tight-lipped on Terry action
Chelsea say they have taken "further disciplinary action" against John Terry after he decided not to appeal against his four-match ban for racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand - but the club are keeping their sanction secret.
Terry has apologised for the language he used after announcing he will not challenge the ban and fine of £220,000 issued by an independent Football Association regulatory commission two weeks ago. Terry has not however apologised directly to Ferdinand.
Chelsea said in a statement they have taken further steps against their captain. The statement said: "Chelsea Football Club believes John Terry has made the correct decision by not appealing against the FA judgment relating to language he used at the QPR match last October."
The statement continued: "Chelsea also appreciates, and supports, John's full apology for the language he used. The club firmly believes such language is not acceptable and fell below the standards expected of John as a Chelsea player.
"The board has conducted its own investigation into the matter, and considered the various issues involved. The board has taken further disciplinary action in addition to the four-match suspension and £220,000 fine imposed by the FA. In accordance with our long-standing policy, that disciplinary action will remain confidential."
The FA suspension means Terry will miss Chelsea's games against Tottenham, Manchester United - both in the Premier League and Capital One Cup - and Swansea.
Chelsea added: "Chelsea enjoys support all over the world. We have players and supporters from many different countries and cultures and our club is committed to eradicating all forms of discriminatory behaviour. John is fully committed to continue supporting that ongoing work."
Terry was found guilty by the FA commission of calling Ferdinand a "f****** black c***" during a Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and QPR on October 23 last year. He had earlier been cleared in magistrates court of a racially-motivated public order offence.
In a statement released via his representatives Elite Management, Terry said: "After careful consideration, I have decided not to appeal against the FA judgment. I want to take this opportunity to apologise to everyone for the language I used in the game against Queens Park Rangers last October.
"Although I'm disappointed with the FA judgment, I accept that the language I used, regardless of the context, is not acceptable on the football field or indeed in any walk of life. As I stated in the criminal case, with the benefit of hindsight my language was clearly not an appropriate reaction to the situation for someone in my position."