Contact us by email or phone.
Illness sidelines Trott again
Jonathan Trott is to take a second break from professional cricket because of his stress-related illness.
A joint statement by Trott's employers at the England and Wales Cricket Board and Warwickshire on Friday confirmed that he will stop playing with immediate effect.
Trott, who had to leave England's Ashes tour after the first Test in Brisbane last November for the same reason, made a short-lived comeback at the start of this season.
He played first in a friendly for Warwickshire against Gloucestershire at Edgbaston, then a first-class match against MCCU Oxford University and last week in his county's opening championship fixture against Sussex.
It was after that match, in which he scored 37 and 26, that he decided he could not continue.
The ECB and Warwickshire statement said: "At the completion of the LV=CC match between Warwickshire and Sussex on April 16, 2014 - in which he played - Jonathan experienced a repeat of stress-related symptoms which were diagnosed during England's Ashes series in Australia in the winter.
"Jonathan will now undergo further treatment to assist with his long-term rehabilitation.
"Both parties confirm that their primary concerns are for Jonathan's health and well-being, and reiterate that they will continue to offer him their full support."
Trott himself, 33 next week, added: "It was with the best intentions and hope that I returned to cricket with Warwickshire this month.
"Much to my disappointment, since my first game, I have felt the same anxieties that occurred during my time in Australia.
"It is not fair on my team-mates or myself to continue when I am unable to function at 100 per cent. In order to play at the highest level you have to be at 100 per cent and be able to concentrate fully at all times. Sadly I am unable to do this.
"With this in mind I have decided it is best for all involved that I continue my recovery on the sidelines for the time being.
"I would like to thank Warwickshire and the ECB for their continued support through this time."
Trott's international career has been an outstanding one to date.
In 49 Tests, he is a three-time Ashes-winner and was a cornerstone of the team which took England to the top of the International Cricket Council rankings two years ago.
Inked in at number three, he was named the ICC's international player of the year in 2011 and currently has a Test average of 46.65 and one well above 50 in one-day internationals.
The ECB has expressed the hope he "will be given the privacy, time and space he needs to make a full recovery".
Over the past month, Trott's every move and performance came under inevitable scrutiny as the feasibility of his international return was assessed.
He gave interviews in mid-March to three outlets across broadcast, print and online media, in which he spoke of his problem as "burn-out".
His remarks were not universally well-received, with former England captain Michael Vaughan the most outspoken of critical pundits.
Vaughan tweeted this morning: "Just hearing the Jonathan Trott news.... Very sad and I wish him a full recovery."
ECB chief medical officer Nick Peirce specified the circumstances surrounding Trott's decision to take a second break from his sport.
"Jonathan has had a recurrence of the stress related illness that ruled him out of all cricket this winter from late November onwards," he said.
"Despite Jonathan wanting to play for Warwickshire from the start of the season, having spent time with him yesterday, it is clear he will benefit from a further period away from the game.
"He will continue with the comprehensive support programme the ECB has put in place to assist his rehabilitation."