Contact us by email or phone.
Kirsten out of England running
Gary Kirsten has ruled himself out of the England team director's job for family reasons.
The South African had been identified by many pundits as the ideal man to succeed Andy Flower, with the England and Wales Cricket Board now looking for someone to lead the team across all three formats.
However, the 46-year-old insists his personal situation means the England job is not one he can consider right now.
"I would regard any job like that as a privilege," he told Sky Sports News.
"But I gave up the Proteas job for family reasons - I want to spend more time with a young family and that certainly hasn't changed. I love cricket coaching, I love being with an international team. But unfortunately the demands of it don't suit where I want to be.
"It would have been a great challenge, it's a high-profile sport. Whenever I've toured England I've always been amazed by the following. It's a pressurised sport and I think Andy Flower over many years did an exceptional job."
Flower stepped down as team director last week following England's humiliating Ashes whitewash Down Under.
Limited-overs coach Ashley Giles is another of the front-runners to take on the job, and Kirsten's decision to rule himself out would appear to strengthen his candidacy. But he fared little better in Australia than Flower as the team slipped to 4-1 and 3-0 defeats in the one-day and Twenty20 series which followed the Ashes.
Kirsten admitted he was not sure whether his methods, which he concedes differed from Flower's, would have been a success with the England team.
Kirsten added: "I had many chats with Andy and I enjoyed his way.
"I have often wondered whether I could go in with my coaching philosophies and thinking that it could work within that environment. I would have enjoyed the challenge, like I would any challenge that I take on.
"I'm taking on the IPL team the Delhi Daredevils - thank goodness it's a shorter period of time - but I'm looking forward to that challenge and the one thing I'm really looking forward to is working with some Englishmen, some Australians, some West Indians maybe, some South Africans and Indians."
One of those Englishmen could yet be Kevin Pietersen, who enters the Indian Premier League auction as a free agent next week and is sure to be one of the most highly-prized players involved.
His international career almost certainly looks to be over, after he was left out of the squads for the limited-overs tour of the Caribbean and the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh announced this week.
National selector James Whitaker gave little away about the reasons for excluding Pietersen from future squads when pressed on the decision on Thursday.
''That is a legal position and at the moment I'm not at liberty to say,'' he told Sky Sports News, giving credence to reports of a confidentiality agreement between Pietersen and the ECB.
Whitaker said it had been a "tricky decision" but that it was now time to "rewrite those values" which unite the team.
He added: "The one-day international team and the England Twenty20 team has played a number of matches over the last 12 months or so without Kevin and, on occasion, performed very well, and I would hope that's the case going forward.''
Uncapped duo Moeen Ali and Stephen Parry were included in both the squads announced on Thursday, while Harry Gurney will go on the West Indies tour.
Kirsten would not be drawn on the ECB's decision to omit Pietersen, but South Africa bowling coach Allan Donald struggled to see the logic of it.
He told Sky Sports: "I'd rather have a Kevin Pietersen in my side every day. I still believe that there are some players out there - quality, great, great players - that are a little bit abrasive and will always go upstream.
"But they're the guys who somehow make the game very special. I must say it'll be very sad to not see him playing for England because he has got loads to offer, especially at the 2015 World Cup."