A shock decision has been made to axe Fleetwood Tram Sunday.
The famous transport festival was set for its 25th anniversary event in 2009 but lack of planners and organisers, who currently number a core group of six, has led to the decision.
The festival, which is held in late July and regularly attracts crowds of around 50,000 from all over the country, was seen as a focal point of Fleetwood’s summer.
Chair of Fleetwood Transport Ltd, Keith Yates, said organising the festival had been a year round task which had taken its toll on the group and said that although funding was always a struggle, it
was not the primary factor in the decision.
He added: “The festival is a spectacular sight on the day with the crowds packing into Lord Street, but there were just not enough people with the necessary skills to sustain such a big event.”
The 2008 event cost around £11,000 with £1,600 donated by Wyre Borough Council.
The group say that if any large event organising companies were interested in taking over the running of the festival they would be prepared to advise and act as consultants to them.