Hope the weather is not too bad at home. Not wanting to rub it in but I am sitting by the pool in Portugal trying not to burn.
Anyway I am still doing a little work visiting a vineyard and working on a new menu for Zest. Just before I left I had a few requests for quiches and tarts so here is one that we are going to add to our menu.
Please make your own pastry.
Red onion tart.
Pastry: 175g (6oz) plain flour.
40g (1½oz) butter.
40g (1½oz) white vegetable fat.
Filling: 500g (1lb 2oz) red onions.
1 tbsp lemon juice.
4 tbsp Filippo Berio Mild and Light Olive Oil.
2 tsp fresh rosemary spikes, chopped.
75g (3oz) black olives, pitted and roughly chopped.
3 medium eggs.
284 ml carton single cream.
Salt and pepper.
50g (2oz) Gruyere cheese, grated.
Method: 1. To make the pastry, put the flour and salt into a bowl, add the fats and rub in to make a fine crumb texture. Add three tbsp cold water and mix with a flat bladed knife until the mixture forms a dough. Gather up and knead lightly until smooth on a lightly floured work-surface.
2. Roll the dough out, keeping a nice round shape, to line a 23cm (9”) diameter metal quiche tin, pricking the base with a fork. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, peel the onions and slice into thin wedges, then place into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and toss together.
4. Heat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/400°F or Gas Mark 6.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and fry very gently for 15 minutes or until softened, stir in the rosemary and allow to cool.
6. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans, then bake for 10 minutes until beginning to colour around the edge.
7. Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further five minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 180°C/Fan 160°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
9. Place half of the onions into the flan case and spread evenly then scatter over half of the olives and half of the cheese.
10. Beat the eggs with the cream, and season.
11. Pour three quarters of the egg mixture over the onions then top with the rest of the onions, remaining egg mixture, olives and cheese.
12. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly golden.