Contact us by email or phone.
Chicken and roasted pepper bake
As promised another recipe using ingredients from your store cupboard, the difference with this week’s is that you may not already have the peppers, olives and lemons (if you decide to use them) but they are all easy to find. You could buy them this week and do the recipe in six months as they are all things that will last for ages.
So this is a recipe you can save and use one night when you get home late or unexpectedly have guests round for dinner.
Chicken and roasted pepper bake 750g new potatoes, sliced. Large pinch dried thyme or fresh if you have it. 2 to 4 tbsp olive oil 4 chicken breasts, with skin on. 6 whole garlic cloves, peeled 450g jar mixed roasted peppers, cut into bite-size pieces. 4 preserved lemons, each cut in half. 200g jar pitted black olives in brine, drained.
1. Heat oven to 180C fan. Heat two tbsp of oil in a large flameproof roasting tin, then fry the chicken, skin side down, and the potatoes for eight minutes or until the chicken skin is crisp and golden.
2. Turn the chicken and potatoes, and then continue to cook for a further minute.
3. Add the thyme and garlic, and then stir to coat everything.
4. Roast everything for 15 mins until the potatoes are soft. Remove the tray from the oven and throw in the peppers, preserved lemons and olives and roast for five mins more until the chicken and potatoes are completely cooked.
5. To serve, bring the tray to the table and let everyone help themselves.
6. Serve with salad or cous cous.
Tips If you follow the recipe and use the preserved lemons don’t be tempted to eat them, they add real flavour but you won’t be able to digest them.
If you haven’t got a jar of preserved lemons you can always substitute them for two oranges cut into segments.
You can swap the chicken for a firm white fish such as halibut if you prefer, just add the fish at the same time as the peppers.